[Modeling] Class Diagram Specification

Marc-Philippe Huget M.P.Huget@csc.liv.ac.uk
Tue, 03 Jun 2003 17:14:48 +0100

Hello Gerd,

"Wagner, G.R." wrote:

> Obviously, a software agent (like other entities) has properties
> that are represented by means of attributes (e.g. its name, its
> GUID, etc.). In addition, it has beliefs (and possibly further
> mental state components). As the name "mental state component"
> suggests, its belief types may be modeled as (<<belief>> stereotyped)
> object types and other agent types, which are attached to the agent
> type under consideration by means of composition. They are
> containers for beliefs about objects and agents in the environment
> of this agent.

That's weird, I have the impression to say the same thing but not with
the same words... You say "has properties that are represented by means
of attributes", I have the impression to say the same. When you define
your agents, what are you thinking first? I need an attribute GUID with
the visibility private and a method to access it or I need to define a
unique ID for my agent? When you speak about stereotypes for beliefs,
and objects and containers, you are too far involved in the design, I
want to go backward and say, I have to include my agent the belief
(believe agent1 (is Melbourne sunny)) but not I have to write the class
X and write an object for this class. I don't think you do that first,
am I wrong?

Cheers,
Marc-Philippe

--
Marc-Philippe Huget

Agent Applications, Research and Technology Group
Department of Computer Science
University of Liverpool
Chadwick Building, Peach Street
L69 7ZF Liverpool