[Modeling] Modeling an Agent Class

Wagner, G.R. G.R.Wagner@tm.tue.nl
Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:26:08 +0200

> please find attached a short document (four pages) where Paola and I
> have described and motivated our proposal for modeling agent classes.

I think there is a conceptual problem with your approach.

Yes, we all agree that agents are not "objects", but we have to
be careful with the term "object". In the UML, everything in the
world is an "object", including agents. This means that there are
two ways how to distinguish agents and objects (corresponding
to two different terminologies):

1) The UML:object concept subsumes non-agentive entities
(your "objects") and agents, so

     UML:objects = "AUML:objects" + agents

2) In AORML, there are <<object>> and <<agent>> class stereotypes,
so
     UML:objects = AORML:entities
                             = AORML:objects + AORML:agents +  AORML:events + ...

Your approach is based on the misunderstanding that AUML:objetcs =
UML:objects. But UML:objects do not correspond to AUML:objects,
but rather to AUML:entities (like in AORML).

-Gerd