[Modeling] Modeling an Agent Class- register your opinion

James Odell email@jamesodell.com
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 13:24:04 -0400

Currently, many researchers refer to this as a "group."  There has been a
bit of writing on the group and its participants over the past few years --
particularly by Jacques Ferber (and some by me).  Treating a department or
organization as a group of agents is a very common example and usually
entails two perspectives:

1) Black box- where groups interact with other groups.  For example, Oracle
interacting with PeopleSoft.  Here, the view is as a group treated as an
agent.

2) White box- where groups are "containers" for a  collection of interacting
entities.  For example, Oracle consists of individual such as Larry Ellison
and Guus Ramackers.  In this view, an individual (playing the role of, say,
President) in Oracle interfaces with an individual in PeopleSoft.  In other
words, it is the *roles* within groups that are the interface points for
intergroup interaction.

-Jim

On 6/20/03 4:17 AM, "Joaquin Peņa" indited: