[Modeling] Modeling an Agent Class- PIM vs. CIM

James Odell email@jamesodell.com
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:59:36 -0400

Gerd,

On 6/24/03 5:53 PM, "Wagner, G.R." indited:

>> 1) What do you mean by analysis vs design.  I define analysis as
>> the mapping from some perception to an implementation-independent
>> model of the perception (PIM);
>
> Jim, there is not just a "perception", but a full-fledged
> business/domain/analyis model; it's the CIM ("computation-
> independent") modeling level in the MDA.

You are quite right is saying the a perception is not a model.  But that's
not what I thought I wrote.   I said that I defined analysis as a mapping
**from** some perception **to** a model.   In other words, for me the
analysis process is basically about expressing concepts in a form that can
communicate those concepts.  Does that make sense?

-Jim