[Modeling] Interaction Diagram specs - first draft

James Odell email@jamesodell.com
Wed, 05 Mar 2003 08:57:47 -0500

Marc-Philippe,

I agree with Marc-Philippe that we do not want to cause confusion.  At the
same time, I am further wondering if we might find it useful to use *both*
the Sequence Diagram and the Interaction Overview Diagram to represent FIPA
interaction protocol diagrams.  In my experience, both can are need to bring
a clarity and formalism to the IPs that we have lacked in the past.
Furthermore, I have seen some people use Communication Diagrams to express
IPs.  In such a case, using "Interaction Diagram" to name a set of diagrams
is not so incompatible.  Under my proposal, Sequence Diagrams (as a name and
kind of diagram) will still exist, along with  the Interaction Overview
Diagram, Communication Diagram, and the Timing Diagram.  "Interaction
Diagram" is only the name of this "family" of diagrams.  So, one can refer
to the family name or the names of the individuals -- whichever provides
more clarity.  Does that make sense?  (Also, since a few 100,000 users of
UML will be using the same terminology as described above, they will have an
easier time moving to AUML.  Or, at least UML and AUML will be in harmony in
that one respect.)

-Jim

On 3/5/03 8:31 AM, "Marc-Philippe Huget" indited: