[Fwd: [Modeling] Comments on interaction diagram modeling doc]

Lin Padgham linpa@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:22:03 +1100

I agree with Misty that agent types are not necessarily known in open
systems, so there we need to use roles.  However AUML should also be
suitable for designing closed agent systems and there I believe we
also need a notion of agent types. So just defining roles is not
enough.

Possibly it is not necessary to distinguish in interaction diagrams
and we could understand either role or agent type - where the
difference is really to do with granularity and at what level of
detail people wish to express things?  If we do take this approach
though, it may be necessary to address questions around what freedom
designers/implementors have in following a protocol, if they combine
several roles within a single agent. This arises from the fact that
protocols are both a design specification tool, but also a
standardisation mechanism. We may need to address these 2 uses
separately?

Lin