[Fwd: [Modeling] Comments on interaction diagram modeling doc ]

Wagner, G.R. G.R.Wagner@tm.tue.nl
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 10:44:06 +0100

>> protocols are both a design specification tool, but also a
>> standardisation mechanism. We may need to address these 2 uses
>> separately?

> This is precisely the point for the definition of level of
> abstraction of the design document.

It's not really about the "level of abstraction" but rather
about the purpose of the model: standard interaction protocols
correspond to domain models which you may transform into
design models (by enriching/refining them). The OMG also
calls these two different types of models "Computation-
Independent Model (CIM)" and "Platform-Independent Model
(PIM)" in their Model-Driven Architecture approach.

-Gerd