[Modeling] RE: Comments on interaction diagram modeling

Marian Nodine nodine@research.telcordia.com
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:01:37 -0600

--------------539FDB847B1F6B655EFBE6FF

Well, I think actually we have several issues here. The first is the
communication issue. In this case I think there are three roles -- (1) the
security council entity, (2) the proposer, and (3) the responder. In this
interaction:
a. The proposers submit the proposal to the security council.
b. The security council forwards the proposal to the responders, setting the
deadline.
c. The responders respond to the security council with a vote.
d. Optionally, the result of the vote is communicated to the proposers and
responders.

The second issue has to do with who can fill the roles in the interaction. Note
that many forms of voting can follow the above interaction, and the distinction
between them is in constraints such as who can fill the role. In the described
protocol, the role constraints are as follows:
Security council -- There is one of these. It must be the legal entity
designated as the security council. It must be able to set the deadline and
tally the votes according to the approved procedure -- if the majority of the
members voted FOR, and no permanent member voted AGAINST, then the proposal
becomes a resolution; otherwise, it does not. It must know who the members are,
and whether they are permanent or not.
Proposer -- There may be one or more of these. All of them must be members of
the UN security council. They must be able to submit the proposal according to
the required procedures.
Responder -- All members of the UN security council must be responders. This
includes the proposers. They must be able to respond according to the required
procedures.

To my mind, the first issue is defined at a more abstract level than the second
issue. I am not sure how this fits in with interaction protocols -- I would be
inclined to say that interaction protocols cover the first issue. The issue of
role assignment should be covered at more of an implementation level.

-- Misty

begin:vcard
n:Nodine;Marian
tel;work:512-478-8923