[Modeling] Re: Methodology-Modeling joint meeting

James Odell email@jamesodell.com
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 09:39:05 -0500

Dear Massimo,

Perhaps, this is only a confusion of terms.

For example, I am confused when you write "Methodology TC clearly declared
its will to explore the problem of refining a FIPA MAS meta-model from the
beginning of its activity."  The only metamodel mentioned in the workplan is
a fragment methods meta-model -- not a "FIPA MAS meta-model."  If you mean
both these terms to mean a metamodel that defines the Methodology TC method
fragments, then that is probably the main cause for my confusion -- and I
recommend using the term FIPA Methodology metamodel, instead.  If you meant
them to be two different metamodels, then I am very concerned because that
is not in the Methodology TC workplan. However, it is in the Modeling TC
workplan to develop a modeling language infrastructure which specify a
metamodel containing those MAS structures that will be modeled, including
role, group, goal, etc.  Such a model could also be called a "FIPA MAS
meta-model."

Also, you write "Now, with a collaborative intent, we just would like to
verify that; it is rather strange that you was not looking for an evaluation
stage of your results."  The participants of the Modeling TC have been
working on this since the Banff FIPA meeting.  All discussions and
evaluation documents are posted to the AUML.org website.  So, I am baffled
at your use of the word "strange" and even more baffled that you assert that
the Modeling TC was not looking for evaluation.

Lastly, you write "I derived the conviction that it is in your scope to
create the modeling support for the above discussed meta-model and not
defining it (this is clearly a methodological concern)"  Again, you use the
term "clearly" and I do not find it clear without understand your use of
"FIPA MAS meta-model."  This leads to your statement: "As a matter of fact
it is not in the modeling TC work  plan while it is the first point of the
methodology TC activity."  As I mentioned above, the Methodology TC is
tasked with developing a fragment methods meta-model.  In contrast,  the
Modeling TC workplan states as follows: "Documents Generated: This work plan
will create: ... Modeling language infrastructure specification."  Since we
are modeling notions such as role, group, goal, etc, they must also be in
the modeling language infrastructure.  So, it is absolutely in our workplan.

I invite the rest of the TC members to join in here.  If I am not
interpreting Massimo's words correctly or you think we are talking at cross
purposes,  by all means please contribute to this discussion.  Thanks.

Regards,

Jim

On 2/22/04 8:25 AM, Massimo Cossentino scribed: