[Modeling] FIPA Modeling Area document format

Marc-Philippe Huget M.P.Huget@csc.liv.ac.uk
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:11:40 +0000

Radovan Cervenka wrote:

> My skepticism about formal
> methods results from the fact that they are not used in practice (in the
> software development) too much, they are not used in OMG standards, most
> people do not understand them, etc. But if we will see them useful, we can
> put them into FIPA specification. Marc-Philippe, I'm looking forward to your
> examples.

I understand well your skepticism, I just want to reflect what I see in agent
community each time I present something around Agent UML, yes, interesting but
what about semantics? If I don't know the semantics, I can use it wrongly, etc.
It is important to tease people from formal methods and it is easily done if we
have some formal description of what we do

> > > * Goal & soft goals (Radovan Cervenka)
>
> Yes, Tropos (GRL, i*) was considered to be one (important) source. Can you
> please give me some ideas based on your work? Thank you.

Yes, sure! Actually, my first concern about Tropos goals is the expressivity
then I heard from Paolo Giorgini that Tropos goal diagrams are only used in
requirement engineering, so, it is not a problem if they are not too accurate,
I considered another approach, not a radical divergence but more an extension.
Today is busy day for me, certainly tomorrow.

Cheers,
Marc-Philippe

--
Marc-Philippe Huget

Agent Applications, Research and Technology Group
Department of Computer Science
University of Liverpool
Chadwick Building, Peach Street
L69 7ZF Liverpool