[Modeling] The UML 2.0 concept of Collaboration

Stephen Cranefield scranefield@infoscience.otago.ac.nz
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 23:01:27 +1200

Marc-Philippe wrote:
> Well, well, I don't know what to answer, I agree with you that this
> Collaboration is important in the context of agents and IPs but my
> question is does this element need to be included in the interaction
> diagram or somewhere else? My aim when writing interaction diagram spec.
> is really to focus on IPs and let apart other notions, it is the reason
> actions or combining protocols are light, it is because I think this is
> the subject of another specification where we write combination of
> different elements: roles and groups with IPs, IPs together, etc. in
> this latter case, your idea about Collaboration can be included.
>
> What's your opinion? Do we need to address this question in the spec?

I agree that it could be addressed elsewhere, but if a consensus emerges
that using the collaboration notation in AUML is a good idea, then it might
be useful to add a note somewhere (when discussing the use of interaction
diagrams for representing IPs) to say that collaborations should (or could)
be used in conjunction with these diagrams.

- Stephen