[Modeling] Modeling an Agent Class- register your opinion

Wagner, G.R. G.R.Wagner@tm.tue.nl
Thu, 19 Jun 2003 18:57:36 +0200

> The relationship between the department and it members is different from
> composite in UML, because the agent is still alive after the owner is
> destroyed. It is also different from aggregation because the destroy of
> the owner (the department) affects the behaviour of the member agents (they
> lost the membership of department members and the associated capability and
> accessible resources). If an object is a part of another object as an
> aggregate, the destroy of the owner will not affect the part object's
> membership to any class, so does not affect its behaviour.

Hong,

again, the difference between aggregaion and composition is simply
the property of shareable parts. The property of lifetime dependency
you refer to is orthogonal to this.

Obviously, in your example, there is an aggregation relationship between
the members of a department  and the department (because a member
can be also a member of another department, i.e. members can be
shared). An aggregation relationship does not imply anything wrt
lifetime dependency and it does neither imply that it would not affect
its parts. These are additional, othogonal issues.

So, your conclusion that we need a "third" part-whole relationship is
unfounded.

-Gerd

Composition