[Fwd: [Modeling] Comments on interaction diagram modeling doc]

Marian Nodine nodine@research.telcordia.com
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:26:13 -0600

--------------28874B0EDA2227CB0FEBEE79

Whoops, I meant to send this to the entire list. Attached is my response
to Gerd.

-- Misty

--------------28874B0EDA2227CB0FEBEE79

Sender: nodine@research.telcordia.com
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:17:41 -0600
From: Marian Nodine <nodine@research.telcordia.com>
To: "Wagner, G.R." <G.R.Wagner@tm.tue.nl>
Subject: Re: [Modeling] Comments on interaction diagram modeling doc

--------------6FF9BE07E1543125746B85DA

"Wagner, G.R." wrote:

> > The UML 2.0 format is effectively <agentName:agentRole>, where you can
>
> Why not keep the format <agentName:agentRole/agentType>?
> This would allow to express Lin's problem of modeling
> the interaction for shop assistants by using lifelines
> associated with agentrole/agenttype combinations, like
> <:customerWelcoming:shopAssistant>.
>
> -Gerd
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Gerd Wagner
> http://tmitwww.tm.tue.nl/staff/gwagner/
> Dep. Information & Technology
> Eindhoven University of Technology
> Email: G.Wagner@tm.tue.nl
> Phone: (+31 40) 247 26 17
> Fax: (+31 40) 247 26 12

Where Lin started out (as I understood it) was with the comment that agent
interaction protocols more intuitively map to interactions between roles as
opposed to interactions between agents. This is related directly to the
late binding issues of agents, I think. AUML is most challenged in the
areas where agents have little resemblance to objects, as that is where the
distinctions between AUML and UML2 will be the clearest.

I do not really see the point in putting a specific named agent into the
lifeline header, as this defeats the late binding approach. Perhaps we
could represent the name with respect to the instantiation of the role, in
the tab in the upper left-hand corner of the UML frame?

I do see what Lin says with respect to roles possibly being specified in
the context of an agent type.  However, this should not be true in an open
agent system -- due again to the dynamic nature of such systems and the
late binding issues, no agent types are necessarily known. It seems to me
that someone should  come up with a good and concise definition of "role"
that we can all agree on, and then discuss how to set it into the context
of AUML interactions.

-- Misty

--------------6FF9BE07E1543125746B85DA

begin:vcard