[Modeling] Re: [Modeling] Agent-oriented: why is it necessary?

Ricardo Sanz Ricardo.Sanz@etsii.upm.es
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:21:28 +0100

--------------080803090805020402020007

Hi,

> That's to say, agent is an extention of object. So,
> the importance of agent is in modeling but not in
> implementation, is it?

In some sense, the answer is "Yes". An agent is an extension of an object.

But the type of extension makes a big deal. I like to think
about them as objects with own threads (active objects). That sets the
focus
not only on modeling but also on implementation.

We think about them as "living" objects.

Best,

Ricardo

--

========================< Cut Here >=====================

Ricardo.Sanz@ETSII.UPM.es
Ricardo.Sanz@ASLab.org
Ricardo.Sanz@IEEE.org

http://aslab.disam.etsii.upm.es/~sanz

The AUTONOMOUS SYSTEMS LABORATORY

Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Madrid, Spain

http://www.aslab.org
========================< Cut Here >=====================

--------------080803090805020402020007

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
<pre wrap="">Hi,

&gt; That's to say, agent is an extention of object. So,
&gt; the importance of agent is in modeling but not in
&gt; implementation, is it?
</pre>
In some sense, the answer is "Yes". An agent is an extension of an
object. <br>
But the type of extension makes a big deal. I like to think<br>
about them as objects with own threads (active objects). That sets the
focus <br>
not only on modeling but also on implementation. <br>
We think about them as "living" objects.<br>
Best,<br>
Ricardo<br>
Yanqi wrote:<br>
 cite="mid20031115120421.013695A30D@ds20.nudt.edu.cn">
  <pre wrap="">Hi, Ricardo and all,

[...]

Quoting Ricardo Sanz <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:Ricardo.Sanz@etsii.upm.es">&lt;Ricardo.Sanz@etsii.upm.es&gt;</a>:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Hi All,

It is known that discussions about necessity are
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->always difficult :-)
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">The case for agent-based construction is stronger
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->where there is a need of
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">strong ecapsulation of semiautonomous behavior. The
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->best example I know
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">is a distributed control system (DCS).

A control loop is a paradigmatical task for an agent
(sense-perceive-act) and
being part of a large structure like a DCS forces -by
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->nature, so to say- an
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">agent-based approach.

In fact these people were building these type of
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->systems much before the
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">term "agent" was common in mainstream software.

Best,

Ricardo

yan qi wrote:

    </pre>
      <pre wrap="">Dear all,

After reading lots of papers on agent technology, I
have to ask myself this question: is agent-oriented
a necessary technology, or as AgentLink says, an
enabling technology for next generation software?

To answer this question, both academic and practical
reasons should be put forward. Yes, we can say agent
is autonomous and proactive. But can we show a
working example that is can not be well developed
by existing software development methodologies?

I believe this question is hard to answer in a simple
way. Do you think so?

I like to listen whatever you say.

Best regards,
qi

=====

      </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->protection around
  </pre>

      </pre>
    <pre wrap="">--

========================&lt; Cut Here
=====================

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:Ricardo.Sanz@ETSII.UPM.es">Ricardo.Sanz@ETSII.UPM.es</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:Ricardo.Sanz@ASLab.org">Ricardo.Sanz@ASLab.org</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:Ricardo.Sanz@IEEE.org">Ricardo.Sanz@IEEE.org</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://aslab.disam.etsii.upm.es/~sanz">http://aslab.disam.etsii.upm.es/~sanz</a>

The AUTONOMOUS SYSTEMS LABORATORY

Universidad Polit&uml;&brvbar;cnica de Madrid
Madrid, Spain

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.aslab.org">http://www.aslab.org</a>

    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->

Department of Computer Science and Techonology,
National University of Defense Techonology,
Changsha, 410073 China
+86 731 4533854
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://yanqi.topcities.com">http://yanqi.topcities.com</a>

  </pre>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:Ricardo.Sanz@ETSII.UPM.es">Ricardo.Sanz@ETSII.UPM.es</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:Ricardo.Sanz@ASLab.org">Ricardo.Sanz@ASLab.org</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:Ricardo.Sanz@IEEE.org">Ricardo.Sanz@IEEE.org</a>

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://aslab.disam.etsii.upm.es/~sanz">http://aslab.disam.etsii.upm.es/~sanz</a>

The AUTONOMOUS SYSTEMS LABORATORY

Universidad Polit&eacute;cnica de Madrid