[Modeling] Re: [Modeling] Agent-oriented: why is it necessary?

Yanqi Yanqi <yanqi@nudt.edu.cn>
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:04:21 +0800 (HKT)

Hi, Ricardo and all,

Jennings wrote in "An agent-based approach for building
complex software systems" that no quantitative data is
available to demonstrate the efficacy of agent-oriented
techniques. He had to use a qualitative justification
to argure why agent-oriented approaches are well suited
to engineering complex, distributed software system.

James Odell wrote "Objects and agents: how do they
differ". In the paper, he argues that "agent-based way
 of thinking brings a useful and important perspective
for system development."

Is agent just useful in "thinking"? Existing agent-
based applications used to model with agents but imple-
ment with objects. A common sense of my colleague think:

      agent = object + mental attitudes

That's to say, agent is an extention of object. So,
the importance of agent is in modeling but not in
implementation, is it?

I believe the answer is "No".  But I can not make it
so clear to my colleagues. :(

with regards,
qi

Quoting Ricardo Sanz <Ricardo.Sanz@etsii.upm.es>:

> Hi All,
>
> It is known that discussions about necessity are
always difficult :-)

> The case for agent-based construction is stronger
where there is a need of
> strong ecapsulation of semiautonomous behavior. The
best example I know
> is a distributed control system (DCS).
>
> A control loop is a paradigmatical task for an agent
> (sense-perceive-act) and
> being part of a large structure like a DCS forces -by
nature, so to say- an
> agent-based approach.
>
> In fact these people were building these type of
systems much before the