[Modeling] agents vs actors

James Odell email@jamesodell.com
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:58:46 -0400

Vivek ,

This discussion would benefit greatly by a clarification of what an actor
is. The following three sentences are all taken from the UML2.0 spec:

"An actor specifies a role played by a user or any other system that
interacts with the subject."

"An Actor models a type of role played by an entity that interacts with the
subject"

"Actors model entities external to the subject. Each actor represents a
coherent set of roles that users of the subject can play when interacting
with it. When an external entity interacts with the subject, it plays the
role of a specific actor."

As you see, the three sentences define actor completely different: a role, a
type of role and an entity/set of roles - the last one is the Semantics
text. (This should in fact be registered as an FTF issue to be fixed in the
coming year.)

Cheer,

Jim

On 9/17/03 12:36 PM, "Vivek Kumar Singh" indited: