[Modeling] agents vs actors

Marian Nodine nodine@research.telcordia.com
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:02:53 -0500

--------------DC54C63484CC2F1D35A01D82

James --

Interestingly enough, none of these three definitions is related to what
I think an actor is. Here is my rough draft of a two cents worth:

Start with activities. An activity is a coherent unit of work. An activity has
a type.

Now, a role describes a set of related types of activities that may be
performed by the same actor (e.g. a hostess can pour coffee, or greet people.)

A resource is an external entity that may be either required by or used by some
activity (e.g. a printer, a document, an agent, a person).

An actor is an intelligent resource that has the capacity to initiate, manage,
and/or control activities of given types.

Actors have capabilities. These capabilities define the roles that the actor
can fill (e.g. I can be a coffee pourer, I can be a people greeter, I can be a
hostess.). An agent may be assigned to do a particular activity if the activity
has a type that may be performed by one of the roles that are within the
agent's capabilities. (modulo the fact that the agent may be able to learn new
capabilities).

-- Misty

begin:vcard
n:Nodine;Marian