[Modeling] agents vs actors

James Odell email@jamesodell.com
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:14:41 -0400

Marian --

I agree that the UML definitions of "actor" are not the greatest.  It is one
place where "unification" has not fully occurred -- not that I've seen any
unification anywhere else, mind you.

However, from your definition, I do not understand the difference between
actor, resource, and agent.  Tossing the word "intelligent" in there is
problematic; the AI people have been trying to define that word for a
quarter of a century now, without any agreement.  So, I would be careful of
adding that to the mix, as well.

So, can you differentiate actor, resource, and agent for us?

-Jim

On 9/18/03 10:02 AM, Marian Nodine scribed: