[Modeling] Class Diagram Specification

James Odell email@jamesodell.com
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:57:18 -0400

On 6/12/03 5:05 AM, "Dr. Hong Zhu" indited:

> What I suggest is to use a new
> name (such as caste) for agent class.

Hong, I know that you have a lot invested in the term "caste."  While I have
no problem coming up with another name for "agent class", the term "caste"
is already  loaded with lots of conceptual baggage.  The OED II defines
caste as:
1) A race, stock, or breed
2) One of the several hereditary classes into which society in India has
from time immemorial been divided
3) The system or basis of this division among the Hindus; also the position
it confer
4) A system of rigid social distinctions in a community

While this is not the complete list of definitions, it presents notions that
I do not find capture the richness and variety of agent-ness.  What I am
saying is: while the term is intriguing, it captures neither the intuition
nor the full nature of how I think of agents.  But, this is just my opinion.
(Perhaps, I am just having a hard time thinking beyond agents as being
Brahmans, Kshatriyas, Vaisyas, or Sudras.  :-)

Anyone else have an opinion?

Cheers,

Jim