[Modeling] Agent-oriented: why is it necessary?

Ricardo Sanz Ricardo.Sanz@etsii.upm.es
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 07:45:28 +0100

Hi All,

It is known that discussions about necessity are always difficult :-)

The case for agent-based construction is stronger where there is a need of
strong ecapsulation of semiautonomous behavior. The best example I know
is a distributed control system (DCS).

A control loop is a paradigmatical task for an agent
(sense-perceive-act) and
being part of a large structure like a DCS forces -by nature, so to say- an
agent-based approach.

In fact these people were building these type of systems much before the
term "agent" was common in mainstream software.

Best,

Ricardo

--

Ricardo.Sanz@ETSII.UPM.es